Friday, January 23, 2009

#11 Microwave Cookbook




#11 Microwave Cookbook, Random House
In my last posting, I mentioned how no one really cooks in a microwave, I didn't even think I had a microwave cookbook in my collection, turns out I do and someone does, cook that is. My good friend from back East informs me that she cooks in her microwave all time. Here's her testimonial;
My idea of a meal is to microwave frozen stuffed fish filets from Omaha - and then microwave a couple potatoes au gratin from Omaha and then microwave a couple of individual veggie servings. Who says nobody cooks with the microwave. I do! 6 minutes for the fish - 5 mins for the veggie and 3 mins for the potatoes. Less than 15 mins. and dinner is ready.
Now I don't want to nitpick but this still sounds a bit like reheating but since the fish is raw, I guess she really is "cooking". Just to let you know, she's not from Omaha. She's just discovered the joy of online ordering from Omaha Steaks. She swears it's cheaper and better quality than anything she can get in her local stores. I think she just likes the free mini cheesecakes they throw in with her order once in awhile.
In her honor, I'm featuring a picture of a lovely microwaved, "Romantic Dinner for Two" from this book, yum. It's consists of salad with warm cheese nuggets, they probably come from McDonalds. Lettuce-wrapped fish bundles, I'm not a big fan of fish and a bundle of it is not very appealing. At least you can't see it when it's all wrapped up. Then there's the Barley Pilaf, that gray sticky mess. At least they jazz up the plate with a small goldfish, this looks like a deluxe version of the little gold fish crackers but they don't mention it in the recipes. Just a suggestion to my friend, maybe you could use your betta fish Duck as a garnish, very chic!
So I stand corrected and I'm sure not going to argue the point with a woman who owns at least three chafing dishes! She uses them all too!! I can't wait to try the Ham and Veal patties with mustard sauce, served with the Brussels Sprouts and Apples, buttered noodles and Pears with Anise for dessert. These are featured on page 30 under "Dinner in the Fast Lane". It states, "entertaining, even after a long day at work, can be a pleasure with the microwave". By the way, I just checked the Omaha Steak site, the Stuffed Sole Suites which are regularly 4 for $70 are on sale for $24.99. I know what someone will be having for dinner tonight! Cookbook #11 is The Random House Microwave Cookbook by Margaret Frazer.

3 comments: