Wednesday, January 14, 2009

#2 Two Fat Ladies Ride Again

#2 Two Fat Ladies Ride Again

I miss the BBC series Two Fat Ladies with Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright, they were "itching to get into your kitchen". Those two crusty old dears were not afraid of fat and lard and strong flavors. I loved their theme song and watching them roar around on their side car motorcycle. They seemed fearless and what interesting lives they had lead. That might explain why I always thought Clarissa was so much older than she really is. I would have guessed at least 75 but she was only born in 1947! Turns out she came from a very posh family that gave her 11 Christian names, Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright . No wonder she turned to drink.

Jennifer passed away during the 4th season and that ended the show. It's a shame, who else would cook a dish like Bacon Cake from page 166, it calls for a pound of bacon and a cup of lard or butter, yum. Then there's Raised Tongue Pie on page 182 with more lard and a 2lb. ox tongue. I would give Eton Mess a try, it has strawberries, meringues and whipped cream, sounds lovely. So book #2 is Two Fat Ladies Ride Again.

5 comments:

  1. LOL they were great. Nenah and I were talking and just have to see the bacon cake. One of my sons would have a hoot if we made it. Mmm maybe. If I have enough nerve after I see what's in there. Thanks and what a great idea Mindy. I can't wait for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra!

    They call it a Bacon Cake but it sounds more like a Cornish pasty to me. It uses 1 lb of cold left-over boiled bacon. A pound of plain flour that is sifted together with 1 tsp of baking powder. Then you "rub" in 8 oz. of lard. Add enough cold water to bind. Roll out into two 7 inch circles. Place the bacon between the rounds, pinch shut and prick top with a fork. Bake at 400F/200C for 25-30 minutes. No nasty vegetables, just fat, fat and fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read an article on bacon desserts. I'll try to track it down. It had recipes for bacon cookies and squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, find it and post it here. That's what you need Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((SHUUDDDER))))))))) LOL ok I didn't ask with great expectations. But the thought is awful fun. Meg that would be very interesting for that bacon boy of mine.

    ReplyDelete