Thursday, April 2, 2009

#80 My Fairytale Cook Book




#80 My Fairytale Cook Book

As I'm sure you all know, today is Hans Christian Anderson's birthday! I just happen to have the perfect cookbook for this occasion, you get the fairy tales and the recipes, it's brilliant. Not that the recipes look all that great and they hardly tie into the stories but it's the thought that counts. I do think they should have used a recipe for gingerbread with the story of Hansel and Gretel. That would have made more sense than Coconut Pyramids, but that's just me.

Does any one remember the Turkish Delight candy that Edmund in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, sold out his brother and two sisters for? I always thought it must really be delicious but it isn't. It's kind of like firm jello squares dusted with powdered sugar, it was a real let down. This book has a Snow Queen in it also and she's mean and cruel too. It just goes to show these long cold winters can get to you, at least it's finally starting to melt around here. Cookbook #80 is My Fairytale Cook Book by R. C. Scriven
.

2 comments:

  1. Ah my childhood, where is it gone? When we lived in Europe, once, we had dozens of Long Play records with those tales and we never grew tired of it. I also remember the mouth watering when they described in details some banquet or special meal in the story. The dishes here must be nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left quite a long comment under your blog today only to discover since I'm on a different computer it didn't post and I lost the whole comment in cyberspace. Basically I wanted you to know I would never sell out my sisters for Turkish Delite....I don't like it either. And I definately agree that a gingerbread recipe should have been used for Hansel and Gretel. Last month the school district calendar I use had a yellow background for March and I flip it yesterday and find a green background for April How stupid is that?! (I'll post this for you Marty, thanks for not selling us out. For enough Twinkies or a Red Velvet Cake, I might weaken.)

    ReplyDelete