Sunday, April 5, 2009

#83 German Traditional Cooking










#83 German Traditional Cooking

My daughter is off in Germany right now for a couple of weeks. I can't wait for the food pictures to start coming in. She wanted to go where they serve the world's largest schnitzel but that's in a part of Germany she won't be visiting. You might think that Germany looks like one rather small country but apparently it is rigidly divided into regions that are completely different from each other. At least that's what my daughter's boyfriend tells me. I guess he should know, being German and all.

Anyway no matter what I ask him, like do you like pretzels, he replies, "Nein, this is not from my region." Or Black Forest cake, do you have this all the time. "Nein, this is from Bavaria, it is nowhere near where I am from". He even claims to have never had on a pair of lederhosen or to have danced der Guten Tag Hop-Clop. He's not even that fond of beer or red cabbage, so maybe that's just a fake accent, I'm beginning to wonder. His parents live two blocks from Beethoven's birth place but he hasn't visited that either. They make Gummy Bears in the same town but he hasn't toured the factory. Ja ja, he's going to be a busy fellow over the next two weeks!

So in honor of their German trip I'm posting pictures of the last time I made Spatzle. I still haven't gotten it right. Too thick and you end up with balls, too thin and you have long noodles or mush. This time it was balls but they were pretty good. Cookbook #83 is German Traditional Cooking by Tony Schmaeling. (Just got word, they had Currywurst with fries and mayo. That's like German fast food, I'll add a photo. She says it was good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment