Monday, February 2, 2009

#21 The Minced Meat Cookbook

#21 The Minced Meat Cookbook

Minced meat, ground hog, get it? It's Groundhog's Day or Candlemas Day as my sister pointed out on her Facebook page this morning. I had to look that up. It's the fancy name for the German tradition of checking out the weather half way between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox to see if the cold weather would be continuing. They just didn't use a cute furry animal in the 1700s. If it was sunny they would get ready for six more weeks of Winter, if it was cloudy Spring was on the way. I don't even have to look outside today, where we live we're guaranteed at least six more weeks of cold and snow. Also on this day the clergy would pass out blessed candles. I could use one of those too, it's still dark for over 15 hours a day up here and we're all sick of it.

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Winter has another flight.
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Winter will not come again.

But anyway, it's a good day to get out your favorite meatloaf recipe, the one that calls for ground hog. There's one in this book with a fruity filling, bleh. I'll probably just use my mother-in-law's recipe, it's known for it's "heartburn gravy". It's so good, you know the pain is coming but you eat it anyway.

I'll probably watch the movie "Groundhog Day" again for the 5th or 6th time too. I never usually rewatch movies, except "The Wizard of Oz" of course. There's just something about this movie as Bill Murray lives the same day over and over until he gets it perfect, that appeals to me. Wouldn't it be great to know just what check out line to get into at the supermarket, the one that wouldn't need the price check! I promise I wouldn't use the time warp for evil gain, no not much.

Hope you don't see your shadow! The cookbook today is #21 The Minced Meat Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment