Sunday, February 22, 2009

#41 Apples, A Book of Recipes

#41 Apples, A Book of Recipes

This is a lovely cookbook with all the basics for cooking with apples. It even shows you how to peel an apple with a small knife, then you core it and slice it. That can take all day. It's strange that no where does it mention the greatest invention for apples, the handy dandy "Apple Parer & Slicer, Corer". What an over sight, these things are great! I've even given them as gifts.

It's not as if they're new either, they've been around a 100+ years and the old ones work just as well as the newer models. I can have the apples for a crisp done in minutes and it's fun. A suction cup keeps it firmly attached to the counter. You just plunge the apple on to the prongs through the center. Next just start turning and it starts peeling and coring and slicing. There's little waste, they cook very evenly, I think they're brilliant. Also if I had to do all this by hand, I'd never get my Mom's Apple Crisp made. It's a shame she never had one but she had the best recipe! No oatmeal topping, it was just 1 cup butter, 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Blend it together and crumble it over the apples and cinnamon you've filled the dish with. I use a bit of lemon juice to keep the apples white. I'll just mention cinnamon again, lots of cinnamon, I have a friend who is a master at this, go Katherine.

So go out and get the "Apple Parer & Slicer, Corer" and then you'll be ready for cookbook #41 Apples, A Book of Recipes.

2 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds great. But I NEED one of those handy, dandy apple thingys!! kj

    ReplyDelete