Wednesday, February 11, 2009

#30 The Best of Classic Cookbooks







#30 The Best of Classic Cookbooks

I'm all for making things easier when I'm cooking and I'm open to shortcuts but I held out little hope that the
Red Velvet Cake on page 313 would be any good. We all know that the Red Velvet Cake is the most wonderful cake ever invented and this recipe wanted me to start with a box of Pillsbury German Chocolate Cake Mix. Now I'm pretty particular about my Red Velvet Cakes, I even bought a beautiful cake stand with lovely flowers in the exact same shade of Red
as the cake when it is cut. It's the only cake that I let sit on this special stand.

So after some debate, I finally decided to give it a try. Let's be honest, 90% of what makes a
Red Velvet a Red Velvet is the frosting and I must say I make very, very good Red Velvet frosting. It's a recipe I don't mess with. I just don't understand, why some people use cream cheese frosting on their Red Velvet cakes and cupcakes? Okay maybe cream cheese icing on cinnamon rolls or a carrot cake. I don't eat carrot cake anyway so that's fine but on a Red Velvet, never. The Red Velvet
deserves and must have the traditional cooked bechamel frosting. This the most classic of all sauces is the only thing regal enough to be placed on this cake. As most of you know, the sauce starts with a roux of butter and flour but I've found a great way to do that in the microwave right in a measuring cup. It's really quick and easy. I will admit, at this point it does look like you're going to be putting gravy on your cake but that's before you add the creamed sugar and butter. This frosting has a texture like no other, it is so amazing it brings tears to my eyes.

If you eat it chilled, it melts in your mouth, if you let it come to room temperature it's airy and satin smooth and there's nothing lighter. It's the BEST and that's why I picked this cookbook and a
Red Velvet Cake post for today, I'm celebrating! This post marks 30 days and 30 cookbooks (see photo) for my first blog. There were those who thought I'd never make it. I've never stayed on a diet for 30 days but this has been fun and it's really nice to see a few people are following along. I thank you and now that I've reached this milestone, I have another goal. I want to get on The Foodie BlogRoll. To meet their requirements, I had to post 5 times, no problem there, 50% of the content had to be food related, easy it's all about the food. Then I just had to last 30 days. That was the part I thought would be hard but it wasn't. So now I'm going to go and sign up for The Foodie BlogRoll, wish me luck and look for their distinctive colorful Widget on a future post. Fingers crossed, it's going to be embarrassing if I can't figure out how to add it. By the way, the cake was pretty good, moist and it came close to the traditional texture as well. So cookbook #30
is The Best of Classic Cookbooks by Pillsbury.

6 comments:

  1. I want frosting! I should stop reading your blog this close to lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a fan of the Red Velvet Cake (sorry no color here). I made one for my father 75th B-Day. Since the cake was kept in the fridge until ready to eat (can't remember if required) as soon as I put the candles on it I was frantic to get everybody in to eat NOW!!!! It didn't melt immediately, so all was well. The next day, I ate it at room temperature and OMG so much better. I don't think I could go with the microwaved gravy though, some things just have to stay the same!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is VERY hard to wait till it comes to room temperture but you're right, it is even better! I use about half the food coloring it calls for most of the time. Sometimes I just leave it out and eat with my eyes closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for red velvet!

    Wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of cookbook stories are entertaining.
    And, learning experiences.
    Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete