Tuesday, February 3, 2009

#22 The German Cookbook

#22 The German Cookbook

We had German guests over the summer and I fed them a typical Kansas City meal of ribs and corn on the cob. For a thank you, they had their son find me a German cookbook. He did a great job, it's got all the classics in 525 pages. I needed a good cookbook since our favorite German restaurant, The Mill Gasthaus recently closed. Now I'll have to cook my own schnitzel. The Mill was such a great place, so warm and cosy, they even had autographed photos of Heino from when he had visited our city. It's so sad and how we all miss the wonderful food! See the photo of the Combination Plate, that included Rouladen, Wiener Schnitzel, Bratwurst with Spatzle and red cabbage. You never left there hungry!

This cookbook has recipes for all of these and also one for Pig Hocks. They are part of the pig's leg between the knee and the ankle, that's assuming pigs have knees. In an earlier post I mentioned how my husband's family were Germans from Russia. Grandpa Greb did very well with English but he did have an accent. One day he went to the butcher and asked the young woman behind the counter for Pig Hocks. She asked him to repeat it and she still looked puzzled. He said it again, "I want Pig Hocks, Pig Hocks!". Finally she yelled "We don't sell Peacocks!". That's a shame, they would have probably gone very nicely with a cold Warsteiner or Dortmunder or one of the other great German beers. So the cookbook for today is #22 The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheration.

2 comments: