Saturday, February 21, 2009

#40 Winnie-the-Pooh's Picnic Cookbook

#40 Winnie-the-Pooh's Picnic Cookbook, Inspired by A. A. Milne

I stopped in at the local Goodwill yesterday, it's right beside the grocery store so it's always tempting. I had no intention of getting another cookbook but I found this for a buck. Isn't it cute! Sweet little Winnie-the-Pooh has his own cookbook series. There's this one on picnics and one with teatime recipes and another on cookies. One set even comes with Pooh shaped cookie cutters. In this book, there's little Christopher Robin and all his little friends eating baby carrots and heart shaped scones. So cute and sweet, gag. Sure they try to shock us with a recipe for "Bug Juice" but if you check the ingredients, there's not a single bug in the stuff.

What I'd really like to find is a cookbook inspired by the children stories of David Greenberg. His book "Slugs" is a masterpiece! Take a look at the picnic they're having in this book, now that looks like fun. According to David, slugs are totally edible. Their feetsies, giblets, riblets and bellybuttons, can be roasted, toasted, minced or blended into slug juice, slug soup or chocolate slugshakes. Sure it suggests many unpleasant things that can be done with and to slugs but it also warns that even the lowly slug may have its revenge. The end is pretty graphic so there's a lesson to be learned. Some critics have suggested that while "The text is funny as well as the colorful drawings, the subject matter, slugs, and the treatment, suggesting ways to eat them, can be too much for some children." Ha!

I'll have you know, I gave the Slugs book to my daughter when she was 8 and she's just fine. She does love the "Simpsons", horror movies and she collects comic books. Oh my gosh, what have I done. Quick, get the Pooh cookbooks and make some cute little cookies with your kids before it's too late!! Cookbook #40 is Winnie-the-Pooh's Picnic Cookbook with decorations by Ernest H. Shepard.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Thanks. I think I turned out all right. "Slugs" is one of the greatest books ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...they'll butter you with germs" is that quote from "Slugs"? I love that expression. I used it a lot when my kids were little and I think it came from that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'll grab you by your chin
    Butter you with germs
    Throw you out the window
    Mash you up with worms

    They'll chop you into pancakes
    And turn you inside out
    So your liver's on the outside
    And your brain is sauerkraut

    Then they'll put you back together
    So your navel's in your nose
    So your feet come out your ears
    So your eyes are on your toes

    Then they'll stuff you in a garbage can
    And leave you overnight
    And after how you've treated Slugs
    It surely serves you right!

    ReplyDelete