Monday, February 9, 2009

#28 Nestle Classic Recipes

#28 Nestle Classic Recipes

Two important things happened on this date, Hershey's Chocolate was founded and my buddy Katherine was born. There may be a link between these two events because Katherine sure loves chocolate. I don't think anyone other than maybe a professional baker has made more chocolate chip cookies than Katherine. She has also eaten more raw cookie dough than most people would in 50 years but look at her, she's soooooooo tiny. It's just not fair and it's not fair she lives a 1000 miles away either!

Anyway, this is driving me nuts, I know I have a Hershey's Chocolate cookbook but darn, I can't find it. I've even been to Hershey PA and I've taken the factory tour. It's a great little city, you can smell the chocolate in the air as you drive through. I'm sure you take in calories just inhaling. The street lights are shaped like giant Hershey Kisses, see photo. They spell out the name in beautifully trimmed chocolate colored bushes. Real bushes and they look just like chocolate amazing. What a place that would be to live.

There was one disappointment, it's been a long time so they may have changed things, but they only took us through a mockup of the working production line. We were no where near the real chocolate as we rode through on little tram cars. Also the most shocking thing, at the end of the tour, you got ONE Hershey's Kiss to sample. ONE!!!! How cheap is that? They did have a big gift shop and you could buy all sorts of neat stuff but ONE KISS!

The reason this seemed even more shocking to me is, I've also been through the Cadbury Chocolate factory in Tasmania. What a difference! Down there on the other side of the world they had us put on paper shower caps and booties so we looked like nerds but then they handed us each a big paper bag and turned us loose right in the factory itself! It was just like Willie Wonka's world where we could scoop up handfuls of goodies from barrels stationed around the rooms. These may have been seconds or stuff that had dropped on the floor, we didn't care. It was so much fun, better than free candy at Halloween. We even learned the secret method by which they get the liquid caramel into the segmented chocolate bars. Don't ask, I'm not telling. So this should be a Hershey cookbook but Nestle will have to do, they do make the best chocolate chips after all. Cookbook #28 Nestle Classic Recipes.

Two minutes at the Cadbury Factory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alqq3EyfPls

3 comments:

  1. I love the concept of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps Hershey will smarten up and start giving out some of the good stuff.:)

    The Cadbury Chocolate factory sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Mo Diva, I'm having fun getting down and dusting off old favorite cookbooks. Plus I love talking about food.

    The Cadbury Factory was magic, Corey!We all felt like 10 year olds.

    ReplyDelete