Tuesday, February 10, 2009

#29 Cornucopia

#29 Cornucopia the Lore of Fruits & Vegetables

This is a beautiful book and it has just enough recipes that I can call it a cookbook. Since the word Corn jumps out at me on the cover, I went to that section. Plus if you've read a few of my posts you know that I'm originally from Kansas and we love our corn! As Garrison Keillor says "Sex is good, but not as good as fresh sweet corn." I know in many parts of Europe, they turn up their nose at corn but they only get the chewy, hard corn that is used to feed livestock and to make ethanol and bourbon, blah. We're talking about sweet corn on the cob, it's heaven and there's only one way to prepare it.

First you set the table, you'll need plates, butter, knives, tooth picks and "corn holders". Corn holders are what you stick in the ends of your corn on the cob to keep from burning your fingers. See the picture, I have a nice collection, check out the antique metal ones, they're for company. Now with the table set, put a large pot of water on to boil with a dash of salt added. Then you gather your family and friends. Have one of your younger kids hold open the screen door while you all walk out to the garden. Be sure you're all wearing running shoes, stepping on a bee barefoot, will throw off the whole timing of the recipe. Everyone now looks for a nice firm ear with golden silks and you snap it off the stalk and start running for the house, shucking as you go. The door will be open so run right in and drop the ear into the water, time 10 minutes. Drain, plunge the holders in the ends, butter and eat! It will be sweet and tender but so fresh, each kernel pops as you bite into it. If you must get your corn from the market, the test for freshness is to stab a thumb nail into a kernel if it's squirts you in the eye it's good.

My mouth is watering and it's still a long time till corn season, rats. But if you can't eat corn, you can always sing about it. How many songs can you name with corn in the lyrics? Come on, you know the tunes, "Jimmy Crack Corn", Woody Guthrie's "Indian Corn", those Broadway ones. Coolio's X-rated "Can-O-Corn" and my new favorite "The CornHole Song". And no it's not naughty, it's about a game they play at tailgate parties. So list a few favorites in the comments and we'll see who knows their corn. The cookbook for today is #29 Cornucopia the Lore of Fruits & Vegetables by Annie Lise Roberts
.

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget Elvis' "Three Corn Patches."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me! But the only decent corn and the best corn is grown in my birth state of IOWA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They grow corn there too? Amazing,I didn't know that,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm as corny as Kansas in August", is that the Broadway one?
    I've been to the "Field of Dreams" cornfield in Iowa so I was aware that they have some corn there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just one of them, Marty.

    I forgot to mention the beautiful Corn Palace in Mitchell,SD, we love it and never fail to stop when we pass through.

    ReplyDelete