Monday, February 23, 2009

#42 Easy Thai-style Cookery

#42 Easy Thai-style Cookery

I often crave a specific food or type of food. Lately it's been Thai, is it lemongrass, the fresh galangal or the kaffir lime, I don't know. I just love the stuff! I've had some luck cooking my own but I'm still not happy with my coconut rice, it's mushy. I take some short cuts too, I don't grind my own red and green curry paste since they sell packages of these. I have found a secret, add raw sugar and it tastes so much more like what you get in the restaurants.

We're so lucky, there's now a great Thai and Lao place for carry out and it's about half the price we used to pay at the fancier places. Their calamari and green curry is wonderful! Check out the photo of our last carry out meal. It lasts us two days so I think it's a bargain. Not as big of bargain as the food from the street vendors in Thailand. My husband traveled there last year and he dined on Pad Thai for about 60 cents, it goes for $11.50 here. I must go back with him next time!

Last time he came home with these boxes of Thai desserts for everyone. Beautiful to the eye but each one tasted like it had been cooked over a campfire, very smoky and rather chalky. It would be great to try these little taste treats fresh. So if you haven't, try Thai. Cookbook #42 is Easy Thai-style Cookery by The Australian Women's Weekly Home Library.

2 comments:

  1. Gabbanna restaurant on Jasper that makes a nice Thai lemon grass chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, looks great! I could have some thai food now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete