Saturday, February 7, 2009

#26 Complete Pasta Cookbook

#26 Complete Pasta Cookbook, The Best of the Pasta Collection

Today is National Fetuccine Alfredo Day and this Williams-Sonoma cookbook has a great classic recipe for it on page 29. With 3 cups of heavy cream and lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese, you can't go wrong. They even tell you how to make the eggy pasta on page 12.

Looking at the instructions for making the noodles reminded me, I have a spaghetti/noodle maker. I had to dig way back in the cabinet above the refrigerator but there it was. I remember back when I got my KitchenAid mixer, the one attachment that I thought I couldn't live without was the pasta maker. I just knew I'd be making fresh homemade pasta all the time. I even bought a wooden pasta drying rack. I had visions of pasta draped over this thing and drying in a sunny kitchen, how Italian. I just had to have this attachment. I think I finally got it as a gift from my mother-in-law after I hinted I'd be cooking wonderful new dishes for her son. It was going to be great!

Unfortunately it wasn't, it was sticky and messy. The thing jammed and the finished product wasn't any better than the dry I could buy in the store. I still see traces of dough on the plates and I'm sure it was last used in around 1983. I remember mixing up a big batch of dough and then trying every different type of the plates. Thin and thick spaghetti, flat noodles, macaroni and lasagna all squeezed out and broke apart or curled back on themselves. It just wasn't fun, and I was so sure it would be fun. Then it slowly dawned on me, as a child, I had always wanted a Play-Doh press. I had repressed my desire to play with that wonderful sweet smelling colorful goo, I didn't really want to make noodles. I wanted to play with Play-Doh! Now that, still sounds like fun. Does anyone need a used once, pasta maker set, I have one I'll sell cheap. So the cookbook today is #26 Complete Pasta Cookbook.

2 comments:

  1. So that's why you got me the Play-Doh pasta maker. I loved that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right and it's why you're getting an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete