Monday, March 2, 2009

#49 Traditional British Cooking



#49 Traditional British Cooking

First let me assure you, there is nothing X-rated about this post! This is all traditional British cooking. You can walk through any Tesco or Sainsbury's grocery store there in England and take these products right off the shelf or out of the freezer compartment. You do not have to go into a special adults only back room. It just goes to show you how the meaning of terms and words can change over the years. It also shows you what clever names the British give their food.

I'm sure in our politically correct world we would be very tempted to rename a few of these but not the Brits. If it was good enough for great, great, great grandma, it's good enough for them. They can march right up to the shop keeper and ask for Spotted Dick or Mr. Brain's Pork Faggots without slightest blush or snicker! I must admit, I usually stared at my shoes and left quickly after being handed my purchases in a plain brown bag.

In this traditional cookbook you've also got Priddy Oggies, Singing Hinnies and StarGazey Pie. In that last one, the heads of mackerel actually stick out of the pie crust and gaze toward the heavens. This is so the oil from the fish drains back into the pie shell. Their tails float around in the rhubarb sauce under the crust. It says the recipe serves 4-6 but I'm pretty sure one pie would serve several hundred over here. This is traditional cooking, not necessarily good cooking.

I did fall in love with Bangers and Mash, tasty sausages stuck in a mound of mashed potatoes and covered in gravy. Bubble and Squeak is great too with more mashed potatoes and cabbage. It squeaks as it cooks in the pan, yum. Mushy Peas in sugared salt water are not a favorite but Potted Shrimp on a cracker is lovely.

I have yet to try Jugged Hare and the Spotted Dick will remain unopened till I can look at it without giggling. The cookbook for today is #49 Traditional British Cooking by Elisabeth Ayrton and Theodora Fitzgibbon.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to suggest some of my new FB friends check out a Cookbook a Day, but perhaps I will wait until tomorrow. I don't want to scare them off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, sorry about that Marty! Tomorrow's should be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about British Cooking but I will check out some of the cookbooks you recommend.

    ReplyDelete