Wednesday, March 4, 2009

#51 The Goose, History, Folklore and Ancient Recipes

#51 The Goose, History, Folklore and Ancient Recipes

Okay, all the vegetarians and Peta members out there should really stop reading right now!! I'm not kidding, I'm going to admit to a guilty pleasure of mine, I'm not proud of it. I've only done it few times but it's just as addictive as any drug. I'm talking about eating Foie Gras. There I've admitted it and that will hopefully be the first step in stopping this shameful practice.

It started a few years ago when a fellow on an expense account took my husband and me out to dinner at our favorite restaurant. He had an anything goes attitude and ordered the Foie Gras for his appetizer. He also smoked $25 Cuban cigars so I should have been watchful. As we were visiting, he picked up a tiny piece of brioche bread and spread a bit of the foie gras on to it. Then it happened, he handed it to me. I could have just said no, I should have just said NO, but I didn't. I don't even like liver but I'd heard of Foie Gras. I knew they took a poor goose and for the last two weeks of their lives, they over fed them, A LOT. Their poor little livers get huge and turn a golden yellow. I'm sure the same thing happens to my poor cat when she opens the cat treats herself and finishes the whole bag. It is terrible and I'm an animal lover and I've done volunteer work at the local SPCA so I should have spit it out but I swallowed.

What can I say, one bite and I was hooked. I've never tried Crack but I'm sure it must have a similar effect. I found myself trying to think up a special occasion that would require a return trip to the restaurant. When we finally returned I ordered it and I didn't share. I couldn't have cared less about the rest of the meal, I wanted more Foie Gras. My husband started to get suspicious when I wanted to go there for lunch and dinner. I even started cooking more at home to save money for my next fix. I reasoned I don't smoke and I don't drink much, I could afford Foie Gras every once and awhile. But going out to the restaurant was getting to expensive.

Next I started hanging around high end grocery stores in town, trying to find a supplier. A tiny dab on a little tiny piece of toast just wasn't enough any more. I even wrote to the food editor of our local paper asking her advice about where I could find it on my own. She said she would deny it if anyone asked her but she had a name for me!

I got my very own tiny package of golden Foie Gras. It came frozen and tightly wrapped in a waxed paper. By the time I had unrolled and unrolled the thing I was left with about 4 ozs. of the stuff. I didn't know where to get the buttery brioche bread I would need and then I remembered the eggy bread they sell at the Oriental grocery store. I bought a loaf of that and cut out cute little shapes and toasted it. Then I started to eat. I did offer my husband some, it's hard for me to believe that he doesn't seem to crave it like I do or maybe he's just stronger.

I bought a second small package but I gave that to a young French girl who was visiting us and longed for a taste of home.
So now I was a dealer too! When I next returned to the supplier they no longer had the tiny packages. All they have now goes for over $50 and it's too big to hide behind the frozen waffles. Plus I know I shouldn't weaken so I walked away without buying any. I must stay strong but look at that picture. All I can say is please, learn from my mistake. If someone, even someone you know offers you Foie Gras on toast, "Just Say NO!". Cookbook #51 is The Goose, History, Folklore and Ancient Recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mindy,

    Ulala, du foie gras! So delicieux!
    You are doing a very nice job with your job!
    Well done!
    Congratulations!
    Very interesting.
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete