Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#58 Beginners Step-by-Step to Starting Out

#58 Beginners Step-by-Step to Starting Out

Happy Birthday to my other sister, the one who doesn't cook. She may well know how to cook but I've never had a meal that she's prepared and it might be just as well. Her tastes run to Headcheese and very smelly fish. The other day she updated on Facebook that she had microwaved a banana. I think that might have been a dinner entree but I'm not sure. I also wondered if she had skinned it first. I was around once when she heated a TV dinner on high instead of medium. Before that, I hadn't realized you can "burn" things in a microwave.

Anyway, I decided to post a beginners cookbook for her from one of my favorites series, The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks. I must have 80 or more of these on my book shelves. We lived in Australia for awhile and I got hooked on collecting them. There's great pictures and lots of step by step instructions. You just have to remember their cup and spoon measurements are metric. Actually the recipes in this book are not all that easy. I not sure she would want to start out with Braised Lamb Shanks with Celery on page 67 or Veal Campagnola on page 54. I didn't think so and she'd have to use a knife and pastry brush for Nashi Galette, so that's out. Maybe I'll just try to track her down an extra copy of my cookbook from post #35 Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls. I don't think you can get hurt following those recipes. Happy Birthday, J! The cookbook for today is #58 Beginners Step-by-Step to Starting Out.

3 comments: