Saturday, March 21, 2009

#68 BBQ Food for Friends

#68 BBQ Food for Friends

I found a Brisket, I found a Brisket!!!!! This is cause for great rejoicing. Usually when I ask the butcher if they have any briskets I get a strange look and a NO. Yesterday I asked and he handed me a package of four little steaks. I told him, "no, I want the whole thing". He said he did have one but he was shaking his head as he walked away to the cooler. He came out and showed it to me and I told him "yes, that's just what I want". He tried to warn me that it would be very tough and difficult to cook but I say not the way we do it back home. So off he went to wrap and price it. This seemed to be taking a long time so I pushed open the door and there he was cutting off every bit of extra fat! I didn't have the heart to tell him I wouldn't mind some of that, he looked so proud as he handed it to me.

So I had my little 3 lb. brisket, it cost $21, I'm afraid to ask what they go for in the States. Probably cheap like turkeys, we pay $50+ for a turkey and I know they still almost give them away down there. Oh well, it was worth it! I wrapped it all up in foil and put it in the oven at 275 for about 5 hours. It came out fork tender and then the dilemma, which BBQ sauce to use? I like the smoky sweeter ones but some in the family likes the ones with a vinegar kick.

Here's a few of our imported sauces, see photo, except for the Tony Roma's, we can get that up here. We also have a hard time deciding which restaurants to go to when we visit Kansas City too. Last time we asked, KC had over 100 BBQ places. I know my brother-in-law had the goal of trying each of them, I'm not sure how many he's logged. We even have sauce tastings up here, kind of like wine tastings but with BBQ sauce and we don't spit it out. They are all great! So the cookbook for today is #68 BBQ Food for Friends by Jane Lawson and Vanessa Broadfoot. Okay down there, what's your favorite sauce?

4 comments:

  1. Original versions of Gates & Sons or Famous Dave's are both high on my list. I like Arthur Bryant's diluted with plain old catsup (not ketchup that's what you do in baseball) Not a fan of the K.C. Masterpiece brands...too sweet. Stubb's makes a good sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm . . . BBQ. My sauce preference depends on my mood. I love Bryant's, but sometimes I really want a sticky-sweet KC Masterpiece. Jack Stack is delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Arthur Bryant's sauce is strong! They cure it their front window in the hot sun. I like Stubb's too and I'm anxious to try the Bud, Beechwood Aged Sauce, Meg brought from St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on my mood. I love the sweetness of KC Masterpiece and find it a tragedy that the restaurants have almost all closed. I've gained an appreciation for Jack Stack, and I do like Arthur Bryant's, and find their extra spicy version quite to my taste. Hayward's is another excellent one that is not quite so sweet.

    ReplyDelete