Thursday, March 26, 2009

#73 Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom

#73 Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom

Dave Letterman has the cutest little Mom, Dorothy, she has such a great smile. My Mom had a great smile too and today was her birthday. She's been gone a long time but I still miss her so much. It was so great growing up with a Mom who thought everything you did was brilliant and that you were the most talented, gifted child around. It was a blessings to have her as a parent.

I used to be hooked on the Dave Letterman Show, I watched it faithfully for years and years. It came on late and I'd tape it and watch it the next day, I'd never miss it. I loved watching when Dorothy would be on. She was there every Thanksgiving and Dave would send a crew to her house and try to guess what kind of pies she had made for the big dinner. I tried the Key Lime pie recipe on page 157 and it was very good.

Dorothy covered the Winter Olympics one year for the show and did a great job in front of the camera. Her smile was always in place but I got the feeling, that she never really got Dave's sense of humor. He would kid around and try to show off for her and usually all he got was a bewildered, "Oh, David". I'm sure she wanted to add, "grow up" but she never did. It probably drives him nuts that she doesn't seem to find him all that funny. Poor Dave, but I'm sure he drove her nuts too.

Anyway, a few years ago I just stopped watching Dave. I don't know why, maybe I wanted him to grow up. I turned the show on last night just to check it out. He always wore a double breasted suit when I watched, now he seems to like a three piece with a vest but the rest was just the same old stuff. He has a son now, who's is 5 years old and the most amazing thing is he just got married last week. It's about time if you ask me, maybe he is growing up a bit. I did read somewhere that little Harry, his son, doesn't get his humor and his Mom has to explain, "Daddy's just teasing honey". Ha, sounds like grandma so maybe he'll be a good influence on old Dad. Cookbook #73 is Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom by Dave's Mom, Dorothy with Jess Cagle.

2 comments:

  1. Nice article, time and life are fascinating and to cultivate some memories is so good. Memory - even though sometimes one would like to be able to just "delete" stuff - is a wonderful gift of God.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...I still watch Dave..habit I guess

    ReplyDelete