Tuesday, March 24, 2009

#71 Mary Engelbreit's Queen of the Kitchen Cookbook

#71 Mary Engelbreit's Queen of the Kitchen Cookbook

As Mary Engelbreit tells us, "Life is just a chair of Bowlies". She's just so cute! I've done some artwork myself and it appears to me, she only uses a black pen and colored pencils but her pieces glow. They're so happy and cheerful, I have lots of her books, magazines, cards, magnetics, I'm a sucker for Mary. I love her art work with it's checker boards and cherries. My sister likes her style so much she tiled a black and white checkerboard around her kitchen fireplace and she has cute little Mary ceramic knobs on the cabinets. It makes cooking fun I'm sure.

This cookbook is beautifully done, a work of art and I bet the recipes are good too. She's one of the few big licensing artists that appeared to do her own artwork and I'm guessing she cooks as well. I know she has a staff to put the projects together but I think she was sitting down at the drawing board and turning out her own designs. She has a studio in Webster Groves, MO not far from where my design partner and I worked for many years. I wish I had run into her at the grocery store, I bet she's as nice as her designs. After all, the lady made paper dolls, I love paper dolls. We didn't have a lot of money for stuff when I was a kid and one of my favorite activities was drawing my own paper dolls. I could do this for hours. Mary always had a paper doll in each of her magazines. It's a shame it ended it's long run with the Dec/Jan 2009 issue. I'll miss it. So Mary, I hope you invested wisely and have a ton of dough to see you through these leaner times. I still think you're great. So cookbook #71 is
Mary Engelbreit's Queen of the Kitchen Cookbook.

3 comments:

  1. I love Mary too but she's notorious for not cooking. Her husband does all the cooking. I'll miss her magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a Mary Fan. Hastings bookstore sells her greeting cards. Thought I would share that info 'cause they're not easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know, I found a few of her things at a Michael's Craft store the other day too. Note pads and tins.

    I can't believe she doesn't cook, lol.

    ReplyDelete