Sunday, March 29, 2009

#76 Soda Pop! From Miracle Medicine to Pop Culture

#76 Soda Pop! From Miracle Medicine to Pop Culture

According to the calendar of events I've been using, today Coca-Cola was invented. Now I was all excited because I have a few Coke recipes but something didn't seem right. My Granny Berta was born the same year Coca-Cola was invented and I was pretty sure it was in the same month. She was born in May so something didn't add up. So I looked on Coke's website and found it was May 8th, 1886 when Dr. John Pemberton mixed up that first batch in Atlanta, Georgia. I figure they should know.

This is terrible, does that mean March 25th wasn't really Lobster Newburg day and is April 19th really Garlic Day. I had been so confident of my facts, after all the calendar I have been using is put out by a group that practices home schooling. All these people are teaching their kids at home and they can't get the date right for Coke? Wow, just wait till their kids take their ACTs and they find out all the stuff Mom was teaching them is bogus. I feel I should write someone, are they using Wikipedia as their encyclopedia too? Shame on them!

Anyway the reason I was pretty sure today wasn't the day Coke was invented was like I said, my Granny Berta and Coke were always linked. She was born just 13 days after Coca-Cola and if there was any one who loved Coke it was Granny. The first thing she asked when you stepped in the door at her home was, "do you want a Coke?". Not just any Coke either, the cute little 6 oz. green bottles that she'd get in a red wooden Coke crate. She had these little stretchy knit jackets that she would place on your bottle and when they were empty, she called them dead soldiers and really seemed to mourn their passing. She drank at least 4 to 6 each day and I don't remember ever seeing her with a glass of water in her hand. I swear she could tell you within 50 miles where it was bottled just by the taste, she was a real connoisseur. Also, you know how all that Cola is suppose to be so bad for you, well she lived well into her 90s!

With all those Cokes around you would think she would have tried the French Onion soup with Coke or the easy Cola Chicken, I don't think she ever did but I do somewhat remember a Coca-Cola Cake. I'm not sure it was this same recipe, I don't remember miniature marshmallows. I should give it a try, my drink of choice is now Coke Zero and there's always one at my side. So to all those little home schooled kids, this one's for you, #76 Soda Pop! From Miracle Medicine to Pop Culture by Gyvel Young-Witzel and Michael Karl Witzel
.

No comments:

Post a Comment