Saturday, March 28, 2009

#75 Atkins The Complete Cookbook

#75 Atkins The Complete Cookbook

Rats! I'm all excited one of my friends from the States is making her first trip to Canada next month and she and her husband will be staying with us. I'm thrilled, I can't wait to show her around and I was really looking forward to dazzling them with my cooking skills. When we knew each other 25+ years ago I didn't do much cooking but boy could we both eat. We were both skinny and could put away a ton of food. They're great cooks and I thought finally I can cook a few meals for them. I had tried cooking on one of my trips to their home in Colorado. They live way up in the Rocky Mountains and I found out something I hadn't known. When you're at high altitudes it takes forever for water or anything else to boil. Everything cooks in a different way.

The dish I had decided to do for them there in Colorado was crab rangoon with a nice dipping sauce. These are deep fried and I put my oil on to heat, waited 15 minutes and tossed in the rangoon. I waited and waited, at home they were golden brown in about 3 minutes tops. These poor things were bobbing around for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes. After about 20 minutes in "hot" oil I put them out on a plate. We sat down and poor Robert popped one in his mouth and got a very strange look on his face. Suddenly the rangoon was flying across the table. I know I'm not the best cook but no had ever spit out my food. Turns out just because the oil wasn't boiling didn't mean it wasn't hot and Robert had seared his entire mouth.

So I was looking forward to redeeming myself and proving to them I could cook. I'd been planning all sorts of meals in my head. I knew Ukrainian would be all new to them, see post #70. Then I wanted to dazzle them with a Green Thai Curry with coconut rice and spring rolls. Then some BBQ and maybe a Mexican Fiesta with a few friends over to meet them. It was going to be great fun stuffing them but then I got the call.

They had just one simple request, all they really needed has Atkins bars and canned shakes. They eat one for breakfast and drink one in the afternoon. They're all skinny and healthy and rats there goes my cooking extravaganza! I remembered I had an Atkins cookbook in my collection and I just got it out, blah it's pretty sad. Oh well, I don't want to kill them with kindness so I guess I'll just peel a carrot or two and hand them a can opener. So cookbook #75 is Atkins The Complete Cookbook, Lose Weight with Hundreds of Low Carb Dishes. By the way, I'm sending the book home with them.

2 comments:

  1. LOL cool article. They will be coming in the same flight as my two aunts from Denver and from Venezuela! See you at the airport :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we'll have to have our Canadian flags ready and let's all wear red, lol. It's amazing how this worked out, I hope you'll at least be able to cook for your company.

    ReplyDelete