Friday, March 20, 2009

#67 Fresh Flavours of Spring

# 67 Fresh Flavours of Spring

It's the first Day of Spring and I'm sure somewhere, Spring is in the air, just not here yet. In Kansas they're already watching for flowers to start poking their heads out of the ground. We'd just like to see the ground. Of course after the snow finally does melt, we get snow mold, see the last picture. It's a white or grey fuzzy mold that grows under the heavy snow all winter. I had a friend who had just moved to Canada, she was so thrilled that Spring had arrived that she hung all her bedding out on the line outside to air. This was right above a patch of snow mold and the whole family itched and sneezed until everything was rewashed and dried inside.

I'm sure Spring will get here sometime. In the mean time I may make new potatoes and creamed peas. That dish says Spring to me. Cookbook #67 is Fresh Flavours of Spring by Corning. I still love my Corning Ware casseroles!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of snow mold. And actually my daffodils are blooming already. I planted some new varieties that are just coming up and will prolong the blooming season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers already, sure rub it in! Of course to get snow mold, you need snow and lots of it. The snow in the picture has been here since November! Every year I have to go out and fluffy up the grass with a rake to get rid of the mold. If you get the "pink" kind, your yard is in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss! Spring is in our calendars! :)
    Eventually also in our gardens and ravines.
    Nice article

    ReplyDelete