Monday, March 30, 2009

#77 Easy Vietnamese-Style Cookery

#77 Easy Vietnamese-Style Cookery

Rats, I did it again, I started eating before I remembered to take a picture of our Vietnamese take out dinner. It is just so good, we pray and start eating right away so it doesn't get cold. They had it all displayed so nicely with the spring rolls and all the meat and shrimp grilled on wooden skewers. It was so pretty but you wouldn't know it from this photo, sorry. I've decided the thing I love about the food is the Fish Sauce. It's made from the liquid drained from salted, fermented anchovies. If you remember from earlier posts you know I don't like fishy, fish but this stuff is great. They use a very mild one that doesn't have the strong aroma or taste. Yum, see the baby giving the thumbs up in the photo, it's just that good.

Speaking of anchovies, my daughter was eating a Caesar salad at The Outback restaurant the other day when she saw this very strange thing curled around the lettuce. She fished it out and laid it on the side of her plate. After some poking and sniffing she decided it must be an anchovy. When the waitress cleared the plate, she looked kind of funny. About two minutes later the manager appeared at her table, apologizing profusely. He said they freshly blend their Caesar dressing each day and somehow that one long slimy anchovy had made it through the blender whole. So they got all their drinks free and coupons for free meals! It kind of reminds me of the time my sister and I were eating in a restaurant in California and she found a cockroach in her lobster bisque. The manager rushed and apologized, he said, "he was so sorry, they were usually in the salads". Blah, some how that didn't make us feel much better but the free bottle of wine helped a bit. The cookbook for today is #77 Easy Vietnamese-Style Cookery, again it's from the Australian Women's Weekly series.

4 comments:

  1. The free wine didn't help me...I was throwing up in the ladies room. At least the anchovy belonged in the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to get free stuff without being traumatized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, funny stories. Sorry to tell you - and I am a person who LOVES French cheese, especially the very strong and ripe ones, when the camambert is "melting away". But in France they tell of some people or older times that said, based on experience, that they like the cheese when "it is running away alone", meaning, carried away by some little soft "creatures" which developed on the cheese.... eww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like my food to move but I'm sure we all eat a lot more bugs than we realize.

    ReplyDelete