Monday, March 9, 2009

#56 The Jewish Cookbook











#56 The Jewish Cookbook

Happy Purim! It's a long story but because of a snotty remark made by a delivery room nurse, my name was recorded as Minda instead of Mindy on my birth certificate. Minda still shows up on my drivers licence, passport and it was always there the first day of school as a new teacher would read the official class roll call.

When I went off to university, I signed up for freshman psychology 101 and took my place in a room full mainly of young men. The instructor started the roll call and when he got to me, Minda, I noticed all eyes turned in my direction. Sure it's an unusual name but this had never happened before. Stranger still, suddenly I was popular! The guys were coming up to talk to me and I was getting lots of attention. It turns out, I hadn't suddenly development sex appeal, I had just landed in a course with the entire freshman pledge class of the Jewish fraternity. Oy vay, who knew Minda was Jewish! Turns out it is, it means something like knowledge or wisdom in Hebrew. There have also been some very well known Rabbi Mindas who I'm sure, all the frat guys thought I must be related too. I wasn't.

My instant popularity disappeared over time but I've always retained a love for potato Latkes. In fact, I'm always searching for new recipes, there's one on page 57 in this cookbook. My favorite ones always include a bit of matzo meal, there's even a nice recipe right on the box. I think maybe I'll make them tonight with some sour cream and a bit of applesauce, yum. After all, the calendar tells me it's Purim at sundown and if I remember correctly, that's one of the most joyous and fun holidays on the Jewish calendar. Kind of a Jewish Mardi Gras. There's lots of noisemaking with gragers and dressing up and drinking. In fact, the Talmud required a person to drink until he could not tell the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordecai" which everyone would be yelling. Haman was the bad guy and one of the dishes in this cookbook is "Haman's Ears" which are very cute little cookies you can tear apart and eat. So have a Happy Purim, the cookbook today is #56 The Jewish Cookbook by Judy Jackson who is in fact, Jewish.


3 comments:

  1. I'd heard the story of the delivery room nurse and your birth certificate, but not of the room full of Jewish frat boys. Love that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you knew all my stories Collette. You soon will if I keep blogging. Say, do you remember the time...no wait, that will have to be another CookBook post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother used to do this fried latkes potatoes. It's so good!
    Well, one day you can have a book with your blog stories and books.

    ReplyDelete