Tuesday, March 10, 2009

#57 Delia's How To Cook, Book One

#57 Delia's How To Cook, Book One

This is a lovely cookbook by Delia Smith the best selling, English author. It was written in 1998 and she wasn't worried about eggs and cholesterol. In fact she says, if you want to learn how to cook, start with eggs and she does for the first 71 pages. It's great you'll never be able to say "Oh, I can't even boil an egg" again. Also, she may be right about eggs being healthy now too. This was just published in our local newspaper last week.

"While an apple a day keeps the doctor away, it turns out a daily egg may keep the heart surgeon at bay. At least that's the indication from a new U of A study, which found proteins in fried and boiled eggs may actually decrease blood pressure."

I don't know about you but I'm thrilled with their early findings. The research team, designed a model stomach and small intestine, mimicking the conditions found in a human digestive system. I'd like to see a picture of that. They sent the eggs through and what came out amazed them, I wouldn't want to see a picture of that!

When fried and boiled eggs were sent through the simulation, scientists found the egg proteins were turned into peptides with a special power known as ACE-inhibiting activity. This, they say, is good news. The other amazing thing is fried eggs do an even better job of this than boiled eggs! I so love fried eggs. Yet this is bitter sweet news. I probably would have been so much healthier and I'd probably have a much longer life expectancy if I hadn't cut out all the eggs from my diet years ago. Oh why, oh why didn't I eat more eggs? No wait, I didn't cut them out! I've been eating eggs whenever I wanted, so I bet I'm just full of ACE-inhibiting activity!

Thanks again to Manfred Zeuch for the beautiful photos on the post today. If you click on the egg picture it looks like you could reach right out and touch them. He titled it "Eggs a Healthy Choice." The photos were all taken with a hand held camera and were manually exposed. The cookbook for today is #57 Delia's How To Cook, Book One by Delia Smith. What next, will they tell us red wine is bad for us?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Good news! Even fried eggs. I am going to try more fried eggs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and we should do a few omelettes too, tres bien!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cooked and fried eggs and omelettes! I have one of these every morning, almost. Love since my childhood.
    I am glad to part of it here again. Cheers

    ReplyDelete