Tuesday, March 31, 2009

#78 Rice Cookbook







#78 Rice Cookbook

When I was a kid there were two kinds of rice, rice and Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. I was never real sure what "converted" rice was but I knew we couldn't afford it. After I was married, I considered myself very posh because I could have "Minute Rice". In just 5 minutes I could have a dish full of mutated, plastic tasting muck. Yum, I actually liked it. Then something happened in the 90's, I discovered "Rice" and the heavens opened.

What a difference in taste and texture. In my humble little home, I have no fewer than 9 different types in my cabinet, there would be 10 but I'm out of Glutinous-sticky rice. It's also rather amazing, if I was blindfolded and put to the test, I bet I could tell the difference between them all. Of course they would have to be cooked correctly, there's an art to that.

So what kinds do I have you ask. There are long and short grained white, a brown short grain from Australia, a Mediterranean Arborio, a Thai Jasmine, a long grained Basmati, Wild Rice and Dirty Rice. Okay I threw the last one in to see if you were paying attention. Dirty Rice is just dirty because of the stuff that's added to it. I also have Minute Rice but I swear I don't use it any more unless I'm
really rushed. Also Wild Rice is more of a grass seed than a rice but they call it rice and it's in this book so it's good enough for me.

We had kind relatives who lived in Minnesota and they would often send us a package of Wild Rice, which grows there, for Christmas. This was a very treat since at one time it was worth it's weight in gold. It is wonderful, rich and nutty and it makes neat curls when it cooks. I have a Thanksgiving Soup recipe I make that uses it and everyone loves it. Now they can grow it in lots more places, this one came from Ontario and it's cheap enough to use more than just once a year.

Of course if you're cooking risotto, don't even start without a good Arborio rice. It's really worth all the stirring when you taste the creamy texture. I make one and place big grill scallops on top, it's so good! Then you need the Thai for coconut rice and I could eat Basmati anytime, with anything. Looking back it's hard to believe I used to make the family eat only Minute Rice, I just didn't know any better. So cookbook #78 is Rice Cookbook from the Australian Women's Weekly series. My sister just found 5 of these cookbooks at an estate sale last week. She'll enjoy them I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I still only use minute rice. I will definitely have to try some different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Brazilians are true RICE EATERS. :) Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild Rice which grows there for Christmas. ??????

    I lived in Minnesota for 10 years and I must say, I did not know that Rice grew for Christmas. Where did my welcome wagon go wrong with information. At any rate, I love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a professor and my daughter has a master's in English. They're always telling me, I need more commas and something they call a semicolon. Like that's going to happen. I write like I talk, fast and with no editing, lol.

    ReplyDelete